In this time of limited resources and increasing need, one of the most critical strategies toward sustainability is an adaptable, flexible and nimble management and governing team.
Six Steps That Will Improve Sustainability In Your Organization
1. Develop an organizational culture of constructive comment for both leadership and staff to ensure that new, innovative ideas are aired and considered.
2. Actively pursue and implement cutting edge research and best practices in serving your clients, and new techniques in resource development.
3. Ensure that long-term leadership is self-reflective, ready and able to meet 21st century challenges.
4. Attract board members with a diverse skill set that can advance the mission and define new frontiers.
5. Create an open and active program for developing young emerging leaders in all areas of your organization. This is an investment that will serve to retain valuable talent.
6. Develop a strong succession plan ensuring that current and future initiatives can be completed when faced with permanent or emergency gaps in staff or board membership.
Change is the catalyst for sustainability. With a steady stream of innovative thoughts, new perspectives, and creative approaches to decision making, your organization will be energized and prepared for sustainability moving forward.
Finally, the growth of the nonprofit sector is dependent on having open, candid, and self-reflective conversations with our leaders, our governing bodies, and our staffs.
Comments by Audrey Winkler, Principal of OMG! Organizational Management Group